Here’s an important selection of sample scavenger hunt rules before setting out on a scavenger hunt.
- If there is an adult with each group, make it clear that the team members must stay with that adult or group leader at all times.
- If someone needs to go to the bathroom, make it clear that they must communicate to their group leader and team mates, they can’t just go on their own.
- All team members need to stay with their team at all times.
- No running, screaming, yelling, pushing, etc.
- Teams must be courteous and respectful to their teammates, group leader, and all the outside people involved in the scavenger hunt.
- Everyone needs to know the boundaries of the scavenger hunt. Make it very clear what they are, whether they are inside, outside, in a certain neighborhood, etc.
- If teams are driving around in a car, everyone needs to wear seat belts.
- Make sure each team has a mobile phone and contact numbers in the case of an emergency.
- No littering. Always clean up after yourselves and your teammates.
- Always play fair. Don’t let your competitive instincts drive you to ruin other people’s chances to win, if you do – you’re team might be disqualified. This means no cheating, lying, stealing, sabotaging, or copying other people’s work.
- Cheaters never win. If anyone on your team cheats or breaks the rules, the whole team gets disqualified. Remember – it’s just a game! Be kind and have fun :-)
Don’t forget to check our Main Scavenger Hunt Ideas page, as well as all of our sample scavenger hunt themes:
- Neighborhood & Park Scavenger Hunt
A fun scavenger hunt taking place outside around the neighborhood/park (Ages 5-7, 8-12)
- Beach Scavenger Hunt
Free scavenger hunt ideas & printables for an awesome activity at the beach! (Ages 5-7, 8-12)
- Mall Scavenger Hunt
For those shopping lovers a scavenger hunt at the mall can be a whole lot of fun! (Ages 8-12)
- Nature Scavenger Hunt
There’s nothing like fresh air out in nature! This hunt can be very educational as well (Ages 8-12)
- Photo Scavenger Hunt
Click, click, click… If you love that camera clicking sound, hold a photo scavenger hunt (Ages 8-12)
- Video Scavenger Hunt
Free scavenger hunt ideas using a video camera, super fun and can be very hilarious! (Ages 8-12)
- Visitor Free Scavenger Hunt Ideas