The fairy costume is one of the most popular girl costumes. And rightfully so! They're all little fairies even without a costume!
Unlike many of the other costumes, fairy and Tinkerbell costumes leave lots of room for your own creativity. Most often, you can create it on your own with clothing that's laying around in your closet (or pay a visit to the second-hand stores where there's an abundance of magical fairy items).
How to Make Your Own Fairy Costume Wings
A fairy can't do without her wings, so we've whipped up a few diagrams and easy step-by-step instructions to make your own costume wings:
1. Start by creating the fairy wire wings. Take a coiled roll of 9-gauge aluminum wire (available at hardware stores) and cut a 16-foot piece (a bit more than what you'll be needing, but it's always better to have a bit more just in case). Bend the wire in half and then twist a small loop at the bend (if you need, use pliers).
2. Then, about 8 inches up from the loop, form a large wing shape from the wire and do the same with the other side (just follow the diagrams below and you'll be fine). Close the wings with a twist (Note: the wings can be bent into different shapes).
3. Take another piece of wire and connect between both wings, creating a triangle (remember to twist and trim the ends of the costume wing wire so that it doesn't protrude from the triangle; duct-tape them if necessary).
4. Make the top section of the costume wings by twisting each part to look like two smaller parts of the wing (again, the diagram does a much better job in explaining...).
5. Cut the legs off a pair of queen-size panty hose (any color you choose). Stretch one leg over the bottom part of a wing, secure with a pipe cleaner, and stretch the excess over the top part of the wing. Repeat on the top and bottom of the other side.
6. Tie the middle of a 7-foot piece of ribbon to the bottom of the triangle (where the loop is). Thread the ribbon around the triangle so the costume wings can be worn like a backpack.
Now your fairy can fly into Neverland...
Enjoy! And don't forget... When you're done creating the costume, take a look at the coolest Tinkerbell and Fairy birthday party ideas.